Saint Margaret’s Church was consecrated as an Anglican Church on May 25, 1968.
But its presence as a place of worship in the community was established a hundred years earlier.
In the 1860s, John Wimburn Laurie settled 800 acres of land on Shubenacadie Grand Lake and encompassing the much smaller Fish Lake. He built a chapel on the property to provide a space for non-denominational worship for those who lived and worked on Oakfield Estates. By the 1880s, the Laurie Farm consisted of the family home, a church, a manse, ten cottages, three barns, one stable, and 350 acres under cultivation. The church was built from lumber on the estate, and the graveyard is the resting place of 3 generations of Laurie family members.
The stained glass window at the front of the church reflects this history — the words of the Creed, the Lord’s Prayer, and the 10 Commandments are surrounded by oak trees, and the window itself is dedicated to the memory of J.W. Laurie (1835-1912).